Admit it, you’ve heard it a million times- “do these things and you can live a simple life!”. But how many of the tips you read can you truly, honestly, and feasibly follow through with?
Usually not many.
Some require you to have a farm or land- be a homesteader, move off-grid! Well, what if you live in an apartment in the city? Does that mean you can’t live a simple life? Some lists of tips require you to not work an outside job- well, what if you have a 40 hour a week, sitting in a cubicle all day, job? Does that mean you can’t live a simple life? Absolutely not!!!
With these 5 easy steps anyone can be on the fast-track to getting off the fast-track
and living a simpler life.
1. Put down the electronics. All right. This is probably one of the hardest things to do. But, honestly, once you get over the addiction so many of us have formed to our smart phones & tablets, you almost start feeling healthier and just better over-all. You are eliminating that stress of checking your email every 5 minutes or being on Facebook going over your news feed and “liking” things you probably could care less about (come on, we all do it). This is something we, as a society, has made acceptable- “No, don’t actually spend time with the people you’re around- check your phone and ignore them.” How do you break the habit, you may ask? Well, that depends on you and your situation. I understand setting only a few minutes a day to check your phone may not be feasible in your situation- you may need to be connected for work or business. But you can make the effort to put it down when you’re with others, at the dinner table, etc..
Just use it less and you will start seeing a difference.
2. Purge. The New Year & Springtime is definitely the time to start purging stuff around the house, right? I mean, do you really need that huge stack of magazines on your nightstand from 2014? Go through and throw away/share/donate what you don’t want anymore. You can truly bless someone else by getting rid of your own mess! By decreasing the clutter in your life, you will begin to see your life change and become simpler. You really don’t need as much stuff as you think you do. And it makes it easier to keep a clean house!
Check out this post from our friends at Our Simple Homestead on 10 things to purge this new year…it’s a good one!
3. Don’t eat in front of the TV. While it’s easy to catch up on the news (or the latest shows) while eating dinner, isn’t it nicer to sit around a table and eat with your family? You may not be able to do it every night, but try to make a point to actually cook your dinner and eat around the dining room table at least a couple times a week. Instead of catching up on the news, catch up on what’s going on in your friends & family’s life. That’s pretty important, too. Enjoy each others company and remember to turn off your electronics!
4. Take up a hobby. I have always had hobbies. From the time I was a young girl I have had a need for the relaxation of creativity. Now not everyone is a seamstress, or crafter, but there are so many things you can do to take your mind to a creative place. I know people who love to read, sing, play an instrument, write or journal, create new recipes, and even (dread!) exercise! Having some kind of hobby will set your mind to work and think of new and different things. You will see the normal every day sights as something you can “make” or “recreate”. While creating you will be forced to concentrate only on what you are doing and you will slow down and just enjoy something fun. We get so caught up in life that we almost never make any time for ourselves or for any fun. By taking up a hobby, it creates an easy “escape” and let’s you take a breather from your hectic days. And you will have the personal reward of producing or learning something only you can create!
5. Get rid of unnecessary stress. You can see a common theme on all these topics- get rid of stress in your life. Whether it be to de-clutter, turn off the phone or stay away from the news for a night, all of these things help make your life simpler by deleting the unnecessary things. Look around and examine your life. Are there things (or people, for that matter) that are causing stress & drama? Well, that’s sure not going to help you live a simple life, is it? Press the delete button on those things. Do a massive purge in your life.
It may be hard and sting a little, but you will indeed reap the benefits later on.
Remember, stress is not only emotionally damaging, it can also be physically damaging.
I hope these 5 steps help you lead a simpler life.
If you have any other tips, feel free to share them in the comments.
Farmer Liz says
Nice short list! I think you picked the most important points. I would add "try not to buy more clutter". Thanks for sharing 🙂
I agree with your ideas and that stress can make you sick! My Dr told me that my stress IS what has made me sick! Now to figure out how to get rid of MY stress…… ( it’s our business and a person).
Merrilyn (Merri) McElderry says
Simple wonderful suggestions…thank you so much ..will follow.. Merri